Monday, 20 February 2017

2017 - 19th February back on the wild Dove

So back to the river Dove and i said from last time i would not come again but not the reason for the fishing but for that hellish walk (approx. 1000yards - one way ! ) . So hoping i would gain something closer i decided to enter the match organised by Sir Clive Lloyd Senior lecturer at the Burton upon Trent Stickology department.
 - time for the draw and the peg i did not want as i was there before was PEG 3 , what did i get ....... 3!!!

Okay pull yourself together Phil , lets attack this 5'-6'- 7' going to 9' peg swim differently , so lets get there and assess .

Somewhere in the distance is my destiny!

Getting closer to my peg and a dog took a dislike to me , charging several times , my right foot was at the ready even when i warned the owner who could not care less.

after 25 minutes exit from the car park i am greeted by familiar territory

To be fair it was an easy walk on the level also i halved my weight on the trolley

Just checking again that it was really Peg 3

Set up 2 rods , a speci waggler of 4gr and a 10 no4 stick - both had 5lb reel lines and i had a size 14 hook on both.

How do i attack this peg differently from last time ? Last time i had my first fish 10 minutes before the end . So i decided to blast it with maggot and sit 3 metres more to my left so i have a better stick float run in the 4-6' depth of water before it enters 8/9' depth.

First 30 minutes i had no indication at all but then i started to get a few quick bites but nothing so changed to a 16' s finer hook and had a grayling .

But then nothing until about the 2nd hour when a quick bite resulted into a decent chub which i struggled to get past the reed bed to my right but eventually it surrendered to my net - nice , now i am happy. Thinking this was going to be the normal i fished for another 45 minutes and nothing . So i decided to drop my float in close and set up a heavy 15' rod with a 3gram Bolo and put some serious weight down in that hole to my right after about 5 minutes setting up as i was just fixing a hook to the line i heard something on my footplate - to my astonishment my rod had entered the water and the butt was about ready to go in . i just managed to grip the rod and reach for the real and let some slack go , no sooner than that happened the line was into the tree far side and ping ! - reckon it was barbel .

1.5lb Grayling

1st Chub

2nd Chub

Later i took another Chub and also lost one after playing for 30 seconds ! - dam it cost me a 2nd place in section

The whistle blew and we all packed up and a few of us were talking on the bank at my peg when all of a sudden a 'Blue-thing' came slowly moving down the water . It was preston keep net , just like Jamies where his was 80 years upstream ! - It was Jamies and quickly he entered the water and completed a rescue and bonus was all his fish were still there !

Peg 4 had 2 and lost 2 Barbel and with a few large Chub hit the 20b mark

Better than last time !

Peg 1

Back in the pub after and Match organiser completing the results sheet

No comments: